[C320-list] Repacking the Packing Gland

JERRY CLAYTON jsea at prodigy.net
Tue Sep 10 07:36:31 PDT 2019

     Chip,
     Yes, it can be done in the water, no need to haul.     Wrap some rags around the shaft area to slow incoming water, and have all your tools and light ready.     The first time you do it will possibly make you a little "nervous" until you see it's no big deal.      Good luck.
     Regards
     Jerry Clayton     #988 (2004)

  On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:33 AM, Charles Martin<chiprmartin at gmail.com> wrote:   My boat has been on the hard for over 4 years (I was on assignment); and
when launched, the packing gland was leaking about a drop every few
seconds.  I tried to tighten the gland, but the dripping actually got worse
(I think the old hemp packing has deteriorated).

Has anybody changed packing with their boat in the water?  If so, any hints
on how to minimize water ingress during the process.  Is it better to just
do a short haul?

Best,
Chip Martin
*Bonaventure* - Sail #767