[C320-list] Ullman Head Sail

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Thu Sep 12 15:14:23 PDT 2019

I had the 135% headsail replaced on my  20 in 2013.  I went directly to the
Ullman loft in Ventura CA.   All by email and phone I might add since I live
and sail in Connecticut.  I worked with Gary Swenson.  He was very familiar
with the 320 sail design and, as he told me, he designed the sails for the
Catalina 320 so he knows the sail well.

I requested quotes from a number of sail lofts including Catalina Direct,
Precision and others. Ullman  was not the cheapest quote but I understand
that my sail was made in California in that loft.  The build quality,
structure and detailing was absolutely first class.  The sail is now six
years old and apart from the Ullman logo fading on the sacrificial leach the
sail remains in perfect condition.  Stitching totally intact, like new.  I
am very pleased and now  plan to replace the head sail.  Here again Ullman's
quote was more compared to the budget sail lofts but when I look at the
stitching, the fabric, the sail reinforcement, the perfect shape of the head
sail when flying I realize that in this case you get what you pay for.

Go and do some searching on other folks that have had Precision sails made
for them.  They are mixed reviews.

Petite Suite  hull 718

Jeffrey Kapec

Tanaka Kapec Design Group