[C320-list] Head'sl Question (Gus Macdonald)

David Veeneman davidv at veeneman.com
Thu Sep 12 15:15:25 PDT 2019

I’ve been told that many (if not most) sail lofts use a software package called ProSail, which contains a database of stock sail specs for most popular makes of boats over the past 25 years or so. ProSail connects to a large vacuum table on which the Dacron (or other material) specified for the customer is rolled out. A printing/cutting head is attached to the table via a long arm and stepper motors, and is controlled by ProSail. The software optimizes the layout of the pieces on the sailcloth marks the location of patches and whatnot, and cuts the pieces, which then go to a sewing table. I’d be interested in hearing from others whether that information is accurate.

I have an older Unman headsail (a 150% genny) on Adelante, and the sailcloth doesn’t seem too light. However, the sacrificial cover on the leech was three-ounce Dacron, which has left the leech in pretty poor shape. I patched it up and put Sunbrella sacrificial on the leech, to limp the sail through until I replace it with a new one. From what Ive seen, Ulman is no better or worse than anyone else in sail construction, but I’d check what kind of sacrificial is on the sail.

--
David Veeneman
Dana Point, CA