[C320-list] Boot Stripe

kskis at aol.com kskis at aol.com
Tue Sep 24 05:24:41 PDT 2019

i just discussed this same thing with an experienced Catalina dealer and here is what he said:
1)  Trying to compound-out by a professional will probably work but the fading will eventually return.  An amateur doing compounding takes the chance of going through and leaving a white spot.
2)  The professionals would use a two-part paint and spray it-I forgot the name of the product but it is the most commonly-used product for restoring hulls.  Amateurs can use Brightside (one part) but brush strokes and drips will probably show up-close.  You won't see them when the boat is in the water.
I used Brightside on my Bristol 22 bootstripe and it came out fine but you will always see brush strokes up close.  There is a close match but not sure what the name is.
I decided to delay the project on Harmony for another time.
Neil Kornblatt Harmony 2004 #973