[C320-list] Starter Battery and Fuel Tank Question andParts3Engines.com Warning

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Sep 24 06:12:34 PDT 2019

Hi Jeff,

I would second several of the things Jack said below.

Few additional points from my experience.
- The starting battery should really be a cranking battery, not a deep cycle or dual purpose deep cycle/starting. Car batteries (especially AGMs) make the best starting batteries. They are intended for high current, short duration draws and have thin plates for this.  Then they top off quickly.  Deep cycle are not good a supplying high current needed by the starter.  A 4 year old car starting battery will spin your starter faster than a brand new deep cycle.  As the deep cycle/dual purpose battery gets old, it'll still power your lights for hours, but might not start your diesel.

- Like Jack said, use a Xantrex Echo Charge to recharge your starting battery.  It's automatic and would let you leave your 1-2-both switch in the position wired for your house bank and prevent draining your start battery.

- That sort of implies a certain wiring.   Starting battery to Position 1, House batteries hardwired in parallel to Position 2 on the 1-2-both switch.  The 1-2-both Common feeds the starter and the DC panel.  Xantrex Echo charge wired between the house battery and the starting battery to top off the starting battery whenever there's a charging source (shore or engine).

- In that configuration, if you leave the switch in Position 2, you'll start the engine most of the time using the house bank.  If the house bank is weak, switch to Position 1 and use the starting battery.  If that's a little weak, go to Both to combine all the batteries to give a better shot at starting the engine.

Fuel Tank
- To drain the fuel tank, we just used a cheap drill-powered pump with the inlet connected to the fuel line feeding into or out of the Racor.  Took only a few minutes to accomplish.

- You didn't say what kind of fuel problems you had.  Probably either water or algae, right?  If it's algae, that's often an indication that there is or was water also.  Make sure you replace the O-Ring in the fuel filler cap.  Also some 320's came with fuel vents on the side of the boat with water vent on the aft transom, others came both on the transom.  If your fuel vent is on the side, you could do what we did and replace the fittings with new ones and swap the fuel and water vent locations and make sure that the water vent faces down and aft.  Also make sure the line goes up a little before heading down to the tank.

- Because of the both the shape of the tank and the way the baffles are installed inside the fuel tank, when you add fuel, it will tend to wash any sediment to the front left corner of the tank.  You should be all set just pulling the sender and inspecting the bottom of the tank where the pickup is and if there's gunk, pour in a little diesel and use your drill pump to suck that back out.  The rest of the bottom of the tank should be clean anyway because of the way the tank naturally flushes all the sediment to where the pickup is located.  I probably wouldn't consider using any chemicals other than a little biocide and Sta-Bil Diesel Fuel Stabilizer.  Biocide is most effective for cleaning a bad tank of fuel when the tank is not totally full with some room to slosh around.

- As for the fuel filters, everyone's got an opinion. 😊  I *always* use coarser filter on the engine than I do on the Racor.  I have always used a 2u filter in the big Racor and a 5u or 10u in the engine mounted filter.  If my filter clogs, I should only have to change the main filter since anything passing the main will also pass the engine filter.  I installed fuel tank shutoffs on both sides of the Racor to make fuel filter changes easier with less chance of getting air in the main line.

- If you're going to buy a new tank, you can get the stock tank (with thicker than stock aluminum) directly from the Ezell Industries (who makes all these tanks) in Florida. Typically faster and cheaper than anywhere else.  If you HAVEN'T yet replaced your tank as delivered from the factory, just do it now.  It'll probably be leaking very soon and you'll go through all this again.  Use that opportunity to pull the aft water tank, fuel tank, clean the whole area and re-route the hoses so that bilge hoses, water lines, fuel lines, wires all run right up in front of the fuel tank.  Also ditch the drier hoses use to "vent" the engine. They're 100% useless for that purpose.  Simply adding screens over the aft vent holes will let your Fridge run cooler.  This was a Saturday project for me. I used the opportunity to repaint the floor in the aft area with white Bilge Kote while I was waiting for my new tank to arrive.  Looked like new.

https://c320.org/mediagallery/media.php?s=20160624013109669

Also I used a few coats of Rhino Liner paint to coat the sides and bottom of the new tank so that it would be less susceptible to corrosion on the outside of the tank.  I don't know whether this would matter really or not.  NOTE: this picture above is not the replacement stock tank, it's a larger 23 gallon version I had them make to my specs instead.  It mounts a little closer to the rudder post, so the job was more involved removing the old mounts and making a new mounting place for it...

-Jeff Hare
#809 Woodbine II