[C320-list] Leak in impeller

Mark Seyler mseyler at cox.net
Tue Apr 7 16:33:08 PDT 2020

Dan,

I had a similar problem, and replaced the pump on the Perkins M30 in my No. 232 in 2011.  I spent about $400+ on a new pump from TransAtlantic Diesel back then.  (I didn't know about Parts4Diesels back then, but have bought parts from them successfully more recently).

One point worth mentioning if you decide to replace the pump (and assuming you also have an M30) is that the raw water pump is driven by a gear that meshes with another gear on the camshaft behind the pump.  My new pump came without the gear, so I got a loaner gear-puller from AutoZone to pull the gear off the old pump, then used a large socket and a piece of 2X4 to" press" the gear onto the shaft of the new pump.  If your boat isn't close to a parts store, and your new pump doesn't come with a gear in place, you may want to get a loaner gear-puller ahead of time.

Also, long after I had done the replacement, I got a copy of a Perkins repair manual, and was surprised to read a caution about doing this job yourself, because the gear reportedly has to be in the exact correct spot on the shaft of the pump.  I haven't had any problems with mine, but you might want to measure where the gear is on the old shaft before you remove it, and try to hit the same spot on the new pump shaft.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA