[C320-list] Fuel Tank Access Port

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Tue Apr 21 12:12:21 PDT 2020

David,

If this is the original tank, which I suppose you'd have no way of knowing, you might consider a replacement tank. The original tanks had a baffle inside which made it impossible to get at the entire inside of the tank with a single inspection port. The general consensus is that over time, these aluminum tanks corrode from the inside out and develop pinhole leaks from the water in the bottom. If you're going to pay for an access port, you'd be wise to consider the age of the tank and if it's worth the effort.

Jeff Hare went through this process in-depth and documented having a new tank made. You could certainly contact Ezell, who made his tank and have them make you a new tank to your specifications with an access port for future access.

The OEM tank (as well as the new one) is sized so that it can be removed and replaced via the aft berth without cutting any fiberglass.

Here's a link to Jeff's article where he talks about the new design:
https://groups.google.com/forum/embed/?place=forum/C320-List&showsearch=true&showtabs=true&showpopout=true&parenturl=https%3A%2F%2Fc320.org%2F#!searchin/C320-List/jeff$20hare$20fuel$20tank/c320-list/dfjJ-x7xooA/cCted7pbN3oJ

You can also order a new tank from Catalina Direct with an inspection port (and no internal baffle) here:
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-320/engine/fuel-tank-19-gallon-winspection-portc-27-c-28-c-320/?SearchResults=1

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us