[C320-list] Fuel Tank Issue

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 22:22:58 PDT 2020

Bob

Don’t set too much store by that duct tape. The fuel tanks have 3 rubber bumper strips duct taped to the bottom of the tank to provide a cushion where it rests on the hull.

For what it’s worth I removed my tank (1996) a couple of years ago. It wasn’t leaking (yet) but I wanted to see how bad it was.  I cut two inspection ports in the top, one either side of the baffle and had one heck of a job cleaning out the gunk that had accumulated at the bottom.  Thick tarry black deposits.  I seriously question whether any “in situ” cleaning process would be able to do a thorough job of this.

On the plus side, the tarry much had been doing a good job of sealing the tank bottom! Once I had it clean I could see pitting everywhere. A gentle jab with a small Phillips driver in a deep pit just perforated the tank. It was probably only a month or two away from springing a leak!

Unfortunately, as sourcing Catalina spares (whether original or pattern) in the UK always means costly international shipping charges, a new tank would have been close on $6-700.

Only the tank bottom had significant pitting so I had a local fabricator weld in a new (thicker) base for less than $50 cash. He also welded in a backing ring around the rim of the inspection ports, and I bought fuel proof neoprene gasket material to fit under the port covers which were bolted in place so I can get access again in future.

Finally, on a previous 320, we had a similar engine problem which we thought was dirty fuel. Turned out to be a loose connection, internally, in the lift pump which would periodically fail when the boat was in rougher conditions and getting bounced about.

Hope this helps

Graeme
1996, #366, UK

Sent from my iPad