[C320-list] Fuel Tank Replacement

Greg Flanagan greg.flanagan at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 23 10:45:00 PDT 2020

Just a small note to all of this discussion. I noted this experience a few years ago.

After 8 years since my last fuel polishing, I thought I should clean my fuel and tank. As it was going to cost me over $1000 to have my fuel “polished” and the tank cleaned, I opted to just replace my fuel. I bought diesel jugs, cheap on sale (at Canadian Tire). I heeled the boat with the boom over the dockside to get the fuel over in one corner of the tank. I then pumped out a few litres with my oil-change sump to see what was in the bottom of the tank. Not pretty! When the fuel was pumping out clear I pumped it into the jugs. I took all of that diesel to our recycling centre for free (but you don’t get the jugs back) where they process it for other uses or less sensitive engines. This whole exercise cost me ~ $100 for the diesel replacement and the jugs. Annual sampling shows the fuel still clean in the tank bottom.

Greg
Hoop Dancer #1076
Sidney, BC