[C320-list] Fuel Tank Replacement

David Veeneman davidv at veeneman.com
Thu Apr 23 10:28:38 PDT 2020

I have decided to replace my existing fuel tank, and thanks again to everyone for your great advice! This post is really directed to those who have done the replacement.

I looked in the Articles section to see if we have an article on doing the swap out, with no luck. From other posts, I understand that I remove the aft cabin hatch and bring the old tank out through the aft cabin. Here’s what I’m contemplating:

— Use a drill pump (since I’m working with diesel) to pump out the old tank into clean five-gallon buckets, running the fuel through a Mr. Funnel AF15CB Fuel Filter <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SOFLL6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=theboagal0a-20&ie=UTF8&linkId=1ccc59054c3e9afa46b52d710f0fb87c> as it’s pumped.

— Remove the old tank, and install the new tank.

— Fill the new tank with the filtered fuel from the buckets, using a shaker siphon hose <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EM3CHP6/?coliid=I1KMWYQQ640JJK&colid=27XR0SSXRN8FE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it>.

— Prime and bleed the system from the Racor.

Does that look like a viable plan? Any other suggestions or advice that you might offer? Thanks for your help.

--
David Veeneman
Dana Point, CA