[C320-list] Transmission lubricant

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Aug 6 17:37:32 PDT 2020

Perkins may use ATF, but the transmission used with the Yanmar 3gm30f (Kanzaki KM2P cone clutch) uses a small amount of straight 30 weight HD engine oil for splash lubrication.

Thanks Denny, that's a great video you posted on changing it.  ( https://youtu.be/9Gx3Uqop_1I )

One tip with that vacuum oil pump system is to get a 12-14" length of 1/4" copper tubing like you'd use for your fridge ice maker at home.  Straighten it out and insert it in the end of the plastic tubing you get with that vacuum pump. Now when draining out hot/warm oil or transmission oil, you can quite precisely control where the end of the tube goes without worrying about it curling around inside and leaving excess oil in the bottom of the pan.

-Jeff