[C320-list] Diesel Filter Changing Intervals

David Veeneman davidv at veeneman.com
Tue Aug 11 05:59:39 PDT 2020

A lot is going to depend on the quality of your diesel fuel, and the usage pattern on your boat. If the diesel fuel at your local marina is clean, and if your fuel tank is clean, then a fuel filter can last for years. But, several factors can shorten filter life drastically:

- Some marinas have dirty fuel, which can gum up a filter in several months.

- Your fuel tank may be dirty, which can cause the same problem.

Water can get into a diesel fuel supply, whether on your boat, or at the marina fuel dock. Water settles to the bottom of the talk, and fungus grows. That’s the main culprit, and regular use is the solution. My C320 sat in a slip for years before I bought her, and I had constant problems with my fuel filters—mainly the Racor—until I finally had to replace the tank. That solved the problem.

--
David Veeneman
davidv at veeneman.com