[C320-list] Starter Battery and Echo Charger

Sara Skinner Schroeder saras951 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 21:08:19 PDT 2020

My 2000 C20 has two 4D deep cycle batteries.  I figure I have about 190amp hr capacity for each which if they are not discharged more than 50% I have about 80amp hrs each.  She has never had a starter battery. After a weekend rafting with friends I did some analysis on my battery usage. It goes without saying that the refrigeration was the biggest draw.  I got nervous that the batteries would not have enough CCA to start the engine so I turned off the refer the night before heading home.  I did charge the batteries for a few hours on day 2 but was still not comfortable with how fast the batteries were being depleted.  I have a few, somewhat unrelated questions, as I figure out what’s going to be added to the boat next.
1.  What kind and size of starter battery do you recommend. Where did you put it?
2.  What kind of echo charger do you recommend.
3.  My 20 yr old Adler Barber refrigerator compressor is drawing 5.5amps at a setting of 4-5.  Does that seem reasonable?  I’m wondering if the compressor is starting to fail.  It works great and I always have ice but I have no idea how long they usually last.
4.  I’m also thinking of getting a solar panel I can throw on the deck to help with battery charging at anchor.  Does anyone do this?

This stuff is still smoke-and-mirrors to me so I appreciate the input.  Finally, my last post was about the installation of my Raymarine autopilot. Thanks to Jack Brennan’s advice and instructions it’s up and running!  I even replaced the steering cable while I had it all torn apart.  Whew!!!
Sara
Wandering Star
2000/#707

Sent from my iPad