[C320-list] Another dead reefer

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 23:50:40 PDT 2020

Doug
Having just replaced mine I had a good look as I sat on the bottom of the locker and worked away!

My old compressor unit rusted from the bottom up. Clearly whatever water was getting to it was on the wooden shelf which the unit is screwed down to

My propane locker seal is intact and doesn’t leak but there IS a way for any water to run through it alongside the gas hose. That then drips off the hose, runs down the side of the hulk and ends up on the shelf

Also I am convinced (still) that most water I feeds ocurrs when we are sluicing down the cockpit area with buckets of water after a scrub and clean. The channels around the locker lid cannot cope with that volume of water

As we keep our boat on a mooring not in a marina we can’t wash down with a hose but instead haul up a bucket of water to throw over the decks etc!

I intend to make a detachable vertical partition to fit on the port side of the locker as a “spray diverted” to channel any water that gets in past the shelf

Graeme
1996

Sent from my phone. Excuse typos!