[C320-list] 320 vs. something just a little bigger

Paul Ducham paul at ducham.com
Sun Dec 13 16:26:58 PST 2020

   Seeking opinions from those who downsized to a 320 or anyone who has a
   320 and finds themselves wishing they had spent the extra dollars for
   something a little bigger.

   Iâve always subscribed to the boat philosophy that you should own the
   smallest one you or your spouse can tolerate. And Iâm mostly convinced
   that the 320 should be our next/last boat. But I wonder if Iâm going to
   find myself wishing I had spent the extra money on something with 2-3
   more feet of LOA for the extra storage, motion comfort, and additional
   space.

   For context, Iâm 55 and trying to pick a boat that will suite me for
   the next twenty years, assuming Iâm not going to get stronger, smarter,
   or more coordinated with age. I solo sail mostly (even when my wife or
   friends are along, Iâm pretty much solo sailing) out of Chicago on Lake
   Michigan. For the next couple of years, the boat will be used mostly
   for day sailing and weekending with my wife and dog, with a 2-4 week
   cruise each summer, mostly staying in marinas. But the longer-term plan
   is to spend more of each summer cruising the great lakes.

   All thoughts and opinions welcome.

   Cheers!

   Paul