[C320-list] 320 vs. something just a little bigger

pat reynolds lorasalum at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 16 15:25:14 PST 2020

 Paul,  I bought my now 25 year old 320 new when I was 58 years old.  You will find that when it comes to washing and waxing, the boat becomes bigger every year.  It is an ideal boat for two people to handle.  It is surprisingly fast, very stable and can carry more sail than many boats it's size.  Anchoring is a breeze even for someone my age.  The boat turns on its axis so turning around in narrow channels is not a problem.   I both cruise and race the boat ( with a crew of six comfortably) and it has held up very well (it's a Catalina)   Since you will be looking at a used one, Catalina had put in three different engines, the last two being westerbeke and yanmar.  While I lean towards yanmar I have a westerbeke and it has been fine.  One advantage is that it is self bleeding.  Other considerations include slip fees, fuel, insurance.  After 35 feet these all increase.  I have been cruising and racing on Lake Michigan for 33 years and am now in the marina in Hammond, Indiana.  Let me know if you want more info.