[C320-list] Installing Solar Vents in Hatch Glass

Allan Field allanfield47 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 05:49:56 PST 2020

I installed a Nicro solar vent in the forward hatch and another in the mid
hatch on my C320. I believe I used a 4-inch hole saw. This goes back about
20 years ago but I think I also put tape on both sides of the hatch and cut
through the tape to prevent cracks or shards; not positive about that but
the instruction manual probably addresses this. After the holes are cut,
the vents are a very easy install. The reason for 2 Nicros is one to bring
air in, the other to take air out. The newer models, the ones I use in my
C387, now have a dome light with an on/off switch in the vent. They also
have a 3-way switch - air in, air out, off - unlike the older models where
they came with 2 fan blades to choose from, one that would take air in, the
other that would take it out. I had a Yard guy install them on my C387 as
he had the saw and was doing other stuff anyway when we bought the boat.
The vents also can be completely closed to prevent water ingress in bad
seas. I had to do this a few times with the forward hatch when pounding
into sloppy seas. All in all, I do believe that these things help a lot
with boat-bad-breath as along with other prevention strategies, neither one
of my boats suffered from that affliction. Hope this helps!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - C387, #103 (formerly C320, #808)
Columbia, MD