[C320-list] Fwd: Atom Voyages - Delivering a Catalina 32

jackbrennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 1 16:15:26 PST 2020

I've read his books and thought they were good. He is a minimalist cruiser who did a couple of circumnavigations on a small, often engineless, long-keel sailboat.

So I wasn't too surprised when he approached the 320 with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. It's not his kind of boat.

>From his description, I thought he was trying hard to break the boat. He was going way too fast for conditions in the 30-knot storm, for example.

Also, running an above-deck wheelpilot in those conditions is not smart.

And all boats drip in rough conditions. Fiberglass flexes. The 320 has far fewer drips in bad weather than my old long-keeled Bristol 30, which had 60-some bolts holding the deck to the hull.

People sail to the islands in much worse boats than the 320. But they generally do a better job than Baldwin of waiting for good weather windows.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 6:50 PM, Leonard Hooks<lehooks at gmail.com> wrote:   Arthur,

Thank you for the link. I did not realize who the author was till I was a couple of paragraphs into the article.  I have read some of his stuff before and was never been able to finish because of his condescending, arrogant attitude.  I did read the whole thing and was surprised he finally found something good to say.

Leonard Hooks
Revelation 2001 #685