[C320-list] Expired Flare Kits

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 16:59:15 PST 2020

Interesting thread.   This topic came up in a class once.   Our ASA
instructor was also a USCG employee and he mention that on top of the
disposal issue it might actually be considered a crime to intentionally set
of a distress flare when you are not in distress... I didn’t see anyone
else mention this so I figured I’d chime in.    The other thing he
mentioned was that there does not appear to be a law that says you can't
carry expired flares.   You just need to show you have unexpired flares.
The expired ones will probably still work so use those first.

Not sure if any of the above has changed in the last few years.   We opted
for the battery powered flare when ours expired.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514