[C320-list] Expired Flare Kits

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:39:05 PST 2020

These are pretty easy to check visually. As long as the bases are not corroded and the tubes are not swollen, in my experience 95 percent of them will fire. After about ten years they will not burn as long as when new.

I take my old flares to an inland lot with gravel along with a bucket of water and fire them down into the ground. After they burn out, I drop them into the bucket with pliers. This practice has given me my quantitative observations. With three vessels, I tend to accumulate a lot of flares.

I store my out of date flares in a plastic tub marked “Out of Date”

Best Regards,
Chris Burti