[C320-list] Repacking keel bolts?

David Veeneman davidv at veeneman.com
Thu Jan 23 11:14:19 PST 2020

My C320 has a minimal amount of water in the bilge, which appears to be weeping in through the keel bolts. I’m basing my guess primarily on the fact that the keel bolts have rust on them.

I had the keel bolts re-torqued last May, which reduced the amount of water coming in, but it didn’t completely eliminate it. I’m guessing that the boat had a soft grounding at some point before I bought it that jarred the keel just enough to break the seal between the keel and the hull, and that water is weeping in through there.

I am also guessing that I’ll need to have the boat hauled out, and that the packing around the keel bolts will need to be redone, and the joint between the hull and the keel will need to be rebedded or resealed. If the bolts are okay, they will need to be cleaned (nuts as well) and re-torqued.

Here’s my question: Are my assumptions correct about the keel bolts having packing and the keel having external bedding or sealing where it joins the hull? Or am I misunderstanding how the two assemblies are joined together. Before I go any farther down this rabbit hole, I want to make sure I understand how the keel is actually attached. Thanks for your help

--
David Veeneman
Dana Point, CA