[C320-list] Racor filter “blocked”

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Thu Jul 9 17:03:57 PDT 2020

I think Troy has the answer. One of the suspected culprits in my fuel issue was a leaking Racor pump. A few mechanics have told me that they can develop a leak at the shaft allowing air into the system. As an aside, it is this very reason that I installed the electric lift pump. Presumably, if the Racor pump allows air into the system, it would also allow fuel out of the system if being pumped electrically. Thus, the electric lift pump is between the fuel tank and the Racor. It also means I will never touch the knurled knob to bleed the system again.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but since we are talking fuel, I thought I would provide a further update. Regarding my own fuel issues, a mechanic who did not have time to come look at the engine spent 10 minutes on the phone with me telling me additional troubleshooting steps. He told me to try to start the boat cold. If it would not start to remove all of the fuel lines and see if it was getting good fuel at the rail without trying to bleed air. If it is getting good fuel at the rail but not starting, assuming it is not the glow plugs (and it is not, I checked resistance again), then it is either the injectors or low compression. After completing this check, I pulled my injectors and had them tested by a local shop. They said all three needed to be rebuilt. It was as cheap to have them rebuild them as it was to buy from Parts4engines.com and send mine back to them. I hope to pick them up and install them tomorrow. I will report back if this solves the problem once and for all

Jeff
'94, #121