[C320-list] Genoa replacement

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:44:59 PDT 2020

We purchased Elvstrom sails from Chesapeake Sailmakers.   We had a good
experience, they still answer our calls when we have the occasional
question about sail shape and trim, and after three years we are incredibly
happy with our sails.    Our sails were 18 years old when we replaced them
and to be honest...in hindsight....those sails were downright dangerous.
They were blown out so bad they were really impossible to get trimmed
properly, and in the typical Chesapeake 10 kts gusting to 20kts without
warning, the boat tended to roll as opposed to jump forward in the gusts.
After replacing those sails, we were kicking ourselves for not doing it
immediately after purchasing the boat.     Make sure your sailmaker listens
to how you use the boat and steers you towards the sails that best suit
your sailing style and also what your expectations are for both performance
and durability.    Not all sailcloth is created equal...make sure you
educate yourself on sailcloth quality and characteristics.   You can pay a
lot of money for the wrong sails.   You can also get a 'deal' on sails that
will be blown out in just a few years.    Another item to watch out for...
a lot of the cheap sails are sewing the bolt rope into the entire luff.
This will be super bad news in a few years when the bolt rope shrinks and
you end up with a big bill due to the amount of time it will take the
sailmaker to release that bolt rope and reattach.

Maybe you knew all this, but figured I'd share, I wish someone had
discussed all this with me when we were sailing those old blown out sails.

FWIW

Troy Dunn
Hull#514