[C320-list] Fridge compressor replacement

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 12 14:42:56 PDT 2020

Graeme-
The propane locker does not have the same "gullies" around it that the normal lockers do to get rid of water.  Take a good look at the seal on the propane locker as I just mentioned.  I opened up my rear port locker lid during a rain and looked up at the underside of the propane area.  It was dripping badly onto my fridge compressor unit.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 5:34 PM, Graeme Clark<cg at skyflyer.co.uk> wrote:   Troy
I’ve emailed some photos

I bought the boat five years ago. The compressor was in a bad state then! The mounts were corroded and it was sliding about on the shelf! I threw some resin and glass mat at it as a stop gap, not expecting it to last the season - amazingly it has soldiered on!

Although there are gullies to take away water that runs off the locker lids, I think they can be overwhelmed in really bad weather (or overventhusiastic pressure washing) and allow a fair bit of moisture into them. Plus some owners store salty kit in that locker (fenders, lines etc) all of which add to the salt laced damp atmosphere!

Fortunately (or possibly not!) it rarely gets that hot here in the UK, so the fridge copes ok without needing the locker lid open.

I am however thinking of removing my blower (which I replaced only four years ago and has failed again) with some sort of extraction to remove the warm air from the condenser

Graeme

Sent from my iPad