[C320-list] Racor 500 fuel filter

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 13 17:05:37 PDT 2020

So I finally installed a Racor 500 fuel filter on my 320, a much more boater-friendly option than that shortie filter under the aft berth. I found it almost impossible to drain water or even change filters on the old one.

The 500 is a larger unit. The filters are cheap and can be changed in a couple of minutes. The water collection bowl at the bottom is easily visible and easy to drain. If you’re unfortunate enough to get growth in your fuel tank, it would be a godsend.

I through-bolted the unit itself through the bulkhead between the port stern locker and the aft cabin. It is just to starboard of the access door and slightly higher than the tank in the stern locker. If you crawl into the port stern locker, you can also reach the shutoff valve at the tank.

Make sure you leave space at the top for changing filters and at the bottom for draining the bowl.

The biggest challenge was the fittings on the filter, which are bought separately, because our fuel line is 5/16 and the smallest fittings available for the 500 is 3/8. Nope, the 3/8 fitting won’t go into the 5/16 hose.

Racor support was useless, but It turned out that Defender.com came to the rescue. It sells a converter that screws into the ¾-16 UNC hole in the filter and accepts a ¼ fitting that has a 5/16 hose barb. You need to use sealing tape when mating the two fittings.

I used the opportunity to replace the 20-year-old fuel lines. I bought nine feet for the line that goes from the manual fuel pump to the filter. I bought four feet for the line from the tank to the filter. I wound up trimming both a little because loops in the fuel line cause problems.

The only other minor hitch was connecting the fuel line to the pump. The barb on my Yanmar was pointed toward the engine, which made putting on the new line difficult. I wound up disconnecting the banjo fitting with the hose barb from the pump to get it done. Double clamps on all fittings.

When you replace the banjo fitting, you’ll need a new copper washer, which will set you back a dollar or so at the Yanmar dealer. Reusing the copper washers is asking for an air leak.

So far, so good, although I have to admit my clumsy bleeding technique took me a little while to get the diesel running.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay