[C320-list] Fridge compressor replacement

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 13:11:01 PDT 2020

Troy
I’ve just checked the propane locker and the seal is tight.
The whole of that locker has a bit of a damp air about it. We only use it to store trash bags between “pit stops” so it’s not because we put wet gear in it
On the starboard side we often see water on the shelf that runs across that side. I store a bucket and cleaning and polishing materials here
So either it’s leaks from under the pushpit and stanchions or just the generally salty atmosphere
I’ve noticed anything not stainless (even galvanised) quickly rusts.
However I take your point about the extra work of a new site vs the speed of a drop in solution.
It will be easy enough to fix a sheet of acrylic under the propane locker to provide a “roof” over the new compressor without compromising airflow.
Also before I install it I’ll check the paintwork over any steel very carefully and touch it up if any metal is exposed to minimise the chance of corrosion getting a hold
Considering the last one lasted 24 years I hope the next will outlast me whatever! (I’m 64!)
Graeme

Sent from my phone. Excuse typos!