[C320-list] running rigging recommendations

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Tue Jun 2 14:59:14 PDT 2020

i’m also a fan of R&W Rope.  With my local West Marine closed due to Covid-19, I ordered several replacement lines for traveler, boom vang, and backstay adjuster recently. They have NE Ropes inventory in all the colors and ship free for orders over $50.  I’ve also bought dock lines from them…..In regard to the splicing, I’m no longer doing that when I replace my lines, seems like a lot of work doing it yourself or extra cost to pay someone to do it.  I use the simple and elegant halyard knot which is very strong and not as large as a bowline.  Any of the knot web sites will show you how to tie this knot.  Years from now, I’ll flip the halyard end for end and re-tie my halyard knot for some more years on the same halyard…….I also find myself replacing lines not when they are chafed or cut, but when they get old and excessively stiff and don’t move well through various blocks, etc. Also,  when they eventually grow significantly green that I can no longer clean them up, I also replace.  I seem to get 10-15 years out of my lines which seems like plenty to me…..Not to mention the positive feel of a new line or halyard…..

Joe Luciano
Second Wind
2005 Catalina 320
Anacortes, WA