[C320-list] Rudder Maintenance

Joe Geiger joe.geiger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 12:57:18 PDT 2020

My rudder post looks fine but the holes that hold it have worn because the wheel brake was not applied for some period of time. This caused a very loud distressing thud in heavy following seas.  I was able to patch it by placing pieces of cut milk carton shims in the space where the post meets the hull and deck.  I did both the top and bottom and so far it seems to have fixed the problem.

Repairing it the right way is a major project that requires the rudder to be dropped and the use of epoxy injected into holes in the rudder collar.  Catalina Direct sells the kit.  I’m going to see if my temporary fix works this season. If not, I’ll be ordering a kit and digging a hole to remove the rudder.

Be advised there are 2 rudder designs for the C320.  I got Warren at Catalina to send me the technical drawings.  The older one is the same as the C30.  The newer one uses Forespar parts and the play can easily be removed by tightening 2 bolts that keep pressure on the post. I have a 2000 #722 and it has the older version.  I think they switched designs sometime in the early 2000s.

Joe
--
Joe Geiger
“Vega” Hull #722