[C320-list] Second Reef Line Arrangement

Guy Smith smitski2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 10 11:44:21 PDT 2020

 Hi Dennis!
I had my sailmaker put a set of second reef cringles in my Main a few years back... I reckoned that if my wife and I were down the bay for an extended trip and a blow came up, I could use the second reef to get home.Most times now a days, we would not go out when nasty stuff is predicted (I would but the TRUE Captain would not!)The only time I used the second reef so far was a daysail outing with my daughter where the wind was predicted to be in the high 20s/low 30s with higher gusts. I reran the jiffy reefing lines at the second reef cringles knowing that we would be reefed all day, if not dropping the Main altogether.
So this is a post that may not help you much. I would rerun the reefing lines to #2 if there was a threat of bad weather before leaving the anchorage and live with the short sail if the actual weather was not so bad.I've been trying to think of a way to rig some mechanism in the second reef cringles so that I could easily use it on the water if need be when the first reef wasn't cutting it, just like yourself. Something like a set of carabiners that could be rigged by clipping a ring/webbing through the cringle grommet and then snap it on the first reef line. Don't know how the sail material would hold up to that though. I'll be interested in anything you find.
BTW, my daughter and I had a blast that day! Winds topped out in the low 40s for a bit! She got some great video of the maelstrom!
Best regards,~g
Guy and Liz Smithsv Pleiades C320 #452Worton Creek, MD, USA

 Hmm - no replies on my query to date.  Does anybody have a functional second reef?