[C320-list] Traveler woes

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sat Jun 13 06:15:06 PDT 2020

The traveler on my boat gives me grief. If I allow even a little slack the lines jam. I’ve replaced the lines and tried different diameters with no improvement. Plus the bearings run rough and there is no good way to flush them out. The other day I was sailing with a reef and 20+ knots apparent and the damned thing jammed during a tack so that I could not ease the traveler below centerline.

I’m wondering about a replacement or upgrade.  I vaguely recall a past discussion about Garhauer changing the design. I have no idea whether I have the new or old version. Does anyone have useful advice for taming this situation? How do I tell which one I have?

Scott Thompson
Surprise #653, 1999