[C320-list] Traveler woes

David Veeneman davidv at veeneman.com
Sun Jun 14 08:39:16 PDT 2020

Dave Hupe asked for some more information, which I thought I’d share with the group.

The cam cleats on my traveler were in questionable shape, so I replaced them with new Harken cam cleats. I mounted the Harken cleats on the cabin top, beside the clutches on each side. To mount them, I drilled holes through the fiberglas to the cabin below, then experimented with different length machine screws until I found one that extended just far enough into the cabin to put a washer and an acorn nut onto. The entire job took about an hour and a half, including bedding the new cleat with silicone..

Dave sent a picture of the modification, as performed by another member. In the picture, the traveler line runs straight (180°) from the traveler to about the front of the clutches, then it angles off through a bullseye at about 135° to the cam cleat, which is mounted next to the cabin top winch. That could offer an advantage when hauling the traveler lines. However, in my case, I opted for a straight 180° run through a bullseye to the relocated cam cleat. The advantage to that approach is a bit less chafing, but I think either approach will work well.

--
David Veeneman
Dana Point, CA