[C320-list] Question abouts Blisters on Early Models

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 14 15:38:00 PDT 2020

Tony:

Call up Catalina and get some expert advice.

A couple of blisters does not merit an expensive peel, in my opinion. Pop ‘em, wipe them with acetone, let them dry a bit and seal the hole with epoxy. You’ll know it if it gets bad; the fiberglass will be damaged and you’ll have hundreds or thousands of them.

The vast majority of blisters are cosmetic, just the gelcoat getting funky. Moisture meters are mysterious things. You need to read more on them. But, as I understand it, all polyester hulls that sit in the water will have elevated readings.

I know nothing of your yard, obviously, but peeling and sandblasting are an old boatyard trick to ring up the cash register. A 2K bottom job magically turns into a $6 or 7K project. Just the thing to drum up some cash during a pandemic.

When I bought my 320, I had a huge fight with a new-to-me boatyard that got me in with a low quote, then decided I needed sandblasting and an epoxy barrier coat for $5K or $6K. With no blisters!  Well, my 1998 has a vinylester bottom from Catalina that is better than what he wanted to do.

I finally got the boat out without him damaging the bottom, but he added an extra thousand for sanding (!) and declared that he had to cut the prop shaft to replace the cutless bearing, which cost me another grand.

Somewhere on the Internet is a copy of a study done on blistering years ago, I want to say by the University of Rhode Island. Anyway, it explains all of this much better than my aging memory can.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10