[C320-list] Question abouts Blisters on Early Models

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Sun Jun 14 14:58:54 PDT 2020

Tony,

My 1995 320, No.232, is also in the water year round.  I haver her hauled every 2-3 years to do bottom paint, and at least half the time I find 1-2 blisters.  My yard calls them "boat pox" and charges me a few hundred dollars per haul-out to repair whatever we find.  So I've just been living with it as a cost of owning a 25 year old boat. I've never had the internal hull moisture tested beyond the blisters, so don't know if the moisture is high elsewhere.

I knew someone who had a full peel 20 years ago, when he bought a then 30+ year old Cal.  It took a long time for the moisture content to go down enough to start with new gelcoat.  (But that was here in New Orleans where high humidity is a fact of life.)  I hope it doesn't cost you a summer of sailing.  Good luck.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA