[C320-list] Question abouts Blisters on Early Models

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Mon Jun 15 05:16:31 PDT 2020

Tony,

I have hull 246 (1995) and have owned her since new.  I have a lot of experience with blisters on this hull.  I keep her in warm Gulf of Mexico waters year around and pull here every 2-3 years for a hard bottom paint job.  The first time I pulled her out in 1997-1998 I had one blister which was maybe the diameter of a golf or tennis ball.  This was ground out and filled with cloth and vinylester fiberglass.    In subsequent years the number of blisters increased to 12-15 per haulout.  Always repaired the same way for a few hundred dollars total.  Maybe this was approaching 1,000.  After talking to the yard manager and a few surveyors this was the recommended course of action.  No one seemed too concerned and no one recommended that the gelcoat be peeled.  Two years ago I was faced with a problem that there was too much old bottom paint and it began to fall off.  So when she came out I had all of the old bottom paint soda blasted off and new barrier coat applied.  This was not cheap either, but I had many unrelated items done and do not recall how much the cost for this part of the job was.  I have had her out of the water for two quick hauls since then to swap props and so far have not noticed blistering like I was experiencing before.  My understanding is the my C320 was manufactured with polyester resin and had a gray barrier coat as she came out of the Catalina factory.  The gray barrier coat was still there after soda blasting except where the blisters had been repaired.  I almost wonder if the repair to blister areas just led to more blistering in those repaired areas in subsequent years.

Larry
WindSwept C320 #246