[C320-list] Of possible interest to Chesapeake sailors: LaTrappe and Knapps Narrows

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Jun 15 10:59:35 PDT 2020

Continuing what was the Facebook thread...

Bev, I'm wondering if you went to LaTrappe and if so whether you went
through Knapps Narrows. We arrived there Tuesday night after a
boisterous sail into a strong southerly, and were there Wed and Thursday
riding out the very strong winds and enjoying the scenery. We had the
place pretty much to ourselves.

Yes we have a dog! (Someone should write a book about good places to
sail with dogs. Between shoreside development and rising sea level it's
harder to find a good beach to take our Labrador ashore than it was 30
years ago.) Very high tides due to the strong southerly were putting the
spit close to entirely underwater at high tide, which seems to be an
increasingly common phenomena over the years.

On the return we tried going through Knapps Narrows E to W at low tide.
We had no problem in the east channel but ran aground right next to red
4 marker on the way out the west side. My Navionics sonar chart
indicated that deeper water was to the right (i.e. North) towards the
old channel marker, so we tried going in that direction only to run
aground again. Fortunately I was able to back off in each case. We
watched two other boats come through the other direction more or less
where we were trying but I think they drew less. The Northerly Friday
morning probably did not help. In the end we turned around, went back
through the bridge and circumnavigated Tilghman Island to get back out
into the Bay.

Hope you were more successful if you tried that route.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653

--
Scott Thompson