[C320-list] Another Rudder Shim Question

Steve Walker amainepe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 07:58:52 PDT 2020

All,

I'm a new member of the group so I apologize for starting a new thread on
this topic, but I wasn't able to respond to a prior post on this topic.

My wife and I are proud owners of Hull #865. We're newer sailors, but have
very much enjoyed the last 3 seasons with the boat.

My question for the group relates to the rudder shims mentioned in other
posts. I'm pretty sure we're experiencing some wear in the fiberglass tube
that supports the rudder post.  We are getting a lot of vibration on points
of sail where there is little pressure on the rudder. We also notice a
knocking sound when turning the wheel while on our mooring.  From other
posts I understand a temporary fix is to slide pieces of a milk jug or
pieces of mylar down between the rudder post and the fiberglass post.  My
question is this:

Can this be done with the boat in the water?  If so, how do you get the
shims down past the brass packing assembly?  Can I take the
packing assembly off while in the water and slide the shims down and then
replace the packing assembly?

Thanks in advance for any input.  Again, apologies for starting a new
rudder thread.

Steve
Freeport, Maine