[C320-list] DOMESTIC EXTENSION CHORDS

Onat Dogruer onatdogruer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:55:25 PDT 2020

Hello John,

Just wanted to share my perspective as an ABYC Certified Electrical and A/C
& Refrigeration technician. There are a number of issues with those cords
from fire/heat tolerance ratings, grounding, to water/oil/UV coatings. In
marinas, I even see those cords used for window air conditioners in hatches
or heaters in the winter. There are liability issues as well in case of a
fire (with respect to potentially insurances declining coverage). The shore
power connections have to go through shore power connection circuit
breakers and GFI rated outlets, etc. ABYC E-11 is clear on these. You could
let the marina management know for noncompliance as it is a liability for
the marina as well.

Best,
Onat
1998, #546