[C320-list] Alternator Wiring Question

Mark Seyler mseyler at cox.net
Tue Jun 30 16:15:40 PDT 2020

I had no idea my alternator issue would cause confusion.  Here’s a little more detail, for anyone who is interested.  But I understand that the question facing most members of the list on receiving this e-mail may be whether to hit "next" or "delete."

According to what I have been able to read on-line, the point of the fuse in the ground wire is to protect the diodes in the rectifier on the alternator.  The semiconductor fuse is supposed to be a faster-blowing fuse for that reason.  I have read that it is in the ground wire to eliminate the overcurrent path to ground if the power is lost to the field windings while the alternator is running.

In my case, the fuse also blew when a wrench dropped so as to briefly short between the B+ and the B-, or ground connection, on the alternator.  That accident apparently sent lots of amps to ground, blowing the fuse (and hopefully bypassing the alternator completely).  But just to make things confusing, even when the fuse is blown there is still an alternate path to ground through the ground wire.  That means you can measure 12 volts between B+ and B- on the alternator, and think the fuse has not blown.  However, the alternate path to ground goes away when you turn the key on to start the engine, and there is no longer 12V between B+ and B-.  (I still haven't figured out why -- I think that a circuit gets energized.)  Without 12V between B+ and B- on the alternator the field windings are not energized, and the alternator doesn't generate power when running.  My hope is that because it never had 12V to the field windings, I won't have blown the diodes, and my new alternator won't be an expensive paperweight.  I'll know after the new fuse arrives, and I can start it up with power to B+ and a good connection from B- to ground.

I learn something from this list almost every time a new thread starts.  If anyone has a better understanding than what I have stated above, please share it and I'll learn something more.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA