[C320-list] Heat Exchanger Removal - Perkins M30

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 18:24:22 PDT 2020

So, my 2 cents here as I have replaced my exchanger bundle and exhaust elbow several years ago.  First, you can remove the exchanger bundle from the back end, without disconnecting the front side at all.  This is a good thing as typically the alternator is in the way on the front side and has to be removed to gain access.  My exchanger bundle was clean as a whistle after 10 years of use which was very surprising to me.  I did upgrade from a 2 pass to a 4 pass exchanger bundle for improved cooling, which has been great.  The exhaust elbow typically requires a change out in the 8-10 year timeframe.  As previously mentioned, it corrodes from the inside and chokes off the water flow over time.  In order to remove it, you have to remove the connection to the engine block and the hose connection on the other side which goes to the muffler.  Take the whole thing out of the boat and work on it in a shop where you have room to apply leverage.  Otherwise, you will never get the exhaust elbow apart to replace it.  Mark the pieces for orientation before removing them such that the new elbow can be installed and fit correctly.  I had my local Yanmar shop remove the old and put the new elbow together (With a large cheater bar to get the old one apart!) Then, I took it down and reinstalled it on my boat.  Best of luck!!

Joe

Sent from my iPhone