[C320-list] Mast plug

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 18 16:49:00 PDT 2020

Well, no access anywhere to the mast electrical plug on my 320 short of pulling the mast. That’s really substandard design and work, what I would expect from McGregor, not Catalina.

At some point, I may hire my mast guy to climb up, install a new anchor light just to be sure and then fish a new cable down the mast and compression post. That’s much less expensive than going to a boatyard. It’s not going to happen before my spring cruise, though.

To discover this is just disappointing because Catalina obviously took a great deal of care in designing most of this boat. Wiring is often the weak link on sailboats, and that is the case here. Slipshod work that wouldn’t be accepted on other components just slid right through.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay