[C320-list] Boom Repairs for C320

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon May 4 14:56:21 PDT 2020

I’m probably missing something here, Holly, but if your outhaul line is shot, why do you need to remove the fitting at the end of the boom?

Wire rope is 20th century technology. Dyneema/Amsteel Blue line is stronger than steel and much easier to install than wire rope.

If I’m correct in understanding what you want to do, you should be able to use a hacksaw to cut off the eye from the wire rope at the back end of the boom. Then use duct tape (a fair amount of it) to connect the Dyneema to what’s left of the wire rope.

Pull it through and it’s replaced. Use a Brummel splice (see Youtube) to replace the eye. On the other end, if you want a thicker line for easier handling, just use splices or knots to join them.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay