[C320-list] Fuel Issue Resolution - Hopefully

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Mon May 18 06:17:28 PDT 2020

To all,

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. The motor is running. Here is a quick synopsis, in case it helps someone else.

I think I had a number of issues: bad fuel and air in the system. A service shop told that, if I still had problems after fully bleeding the system, I should disconnect the fuel line from the Racor outlet side and put it in a clean jug of diesel. If it starts, you know it is the Racor. If not, move forward and bypass the on-engine filter.

Mine started with the line in the jug, after I pumped enough fuel through the on-engine filter bleed screw until I saw green diesel come through (and no air bubbles). Unfortunately, as I was moving back and forth with the engine running, I let the jug run dry (more air). When I reattached the line (filling it with diesel and bleeding again), it would not start. My boat has a dual Racor, and I finally found a crushed o-ring on one bowl that I think was letting air in the system (my back-up filter that I have not used). I changed the filter and o-ring, pumped a bunch of diesel through both bleed points (filter first, injector pump and then injectors) and it finally started and ran.

I have since started it 5 or 6 times (to change the oil, etc.) and it starts easily.

If I were to remove all the fuel from the tank again, I would follow Jeff Hare’s advice (and maybe others) that used a drill pump to extract the fuel through the fuel line that attaches to the inlet side of the Racor. Empty and change Racor filter(s). Then, after refilling with clean diesel, use the drill pump to pull clean diesel through the system to the lift pump. Then I could clear the rest of the old fuel and bleed the lines appropriately.

Regarding my comment about the 500 FB, Stephen caught the key detail that I missed. The box is 20CM; the assembled height is 30CM. There is 12” of clearance almost at the back of the engine, but I am not sure it would work with the other cables and levers running through the space. As of now, I will keep my dual Racor system (I thought about switching back to a single). I may put an electric lift pump on to help with air issues going forward.

Thanks again,
Jeff

’94, #121