[C320-list] Cleaning water tank

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon May 18 17:04:49 PDT 2020

If you have that nasty alcohol loving tannish slime here is what worked for
me.

Go buy one of those cleaning brushes that I think is designed more for
toilets but it has many foam squarish 'bristles' that are configured in the
typical toilet brush shape.   Think toilet brush meets foam paintbrush and
you have the idea.   You want your brush to hold some water and extend your
reach at least 12”.

Now the fun begins.  First clean out your filter before the pump.   Drain
your tanks with a shop vac.   Get as much of the slime out of the tanks as
possible by filling them a bit with clean water and using your brush to
really swab down the entire tank and suck it all back out with the shop
vac.  Next up fill your tank with 10 gallons of water and a 1/4 cup of
bleach.   Scrub some more and really get every nook and cranny.   Let it
stand an hour and suck it all back out.  Look clean?  Now you can follow
normal sanitizing procedure.    Use a 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons.
Fill tanks full so that the bleach water is touching all of the tank, pull
about a quart of water through all faucets both hot and cold.  let stand
three hours.    Then...you can flush with regular water...or vinegar
water...or baking soda water.   We just use regular water, but....we do not
drink water from the taps on the boat, so...not sure if we would have a
different approach if we did.

Good luck.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514