[C320-list] ANCHOR CHAIN WELL DRAIN

Harry Juris harry at citron-too.com
Thu May 21 10:24:44 PDT 2020

I posted the original warning about the issue. I won't repost but it can be
found by searching the forum for "WARNING - My boat almost sunk!!"

The repairs were delayed as the marina was in the midst of hauling and
winterizing. The damage was extensive. 3 AGM batteries, all pumps and some
wiring had to be replaced as well as all cushions. The main Cabin teak and
holly sole, some cabinetry, paneling and doors needed refinishing.

To update everyone, Repairs have progressed slowly first due to the winter
and then because of New York being on "pause". Now that the marinas are
open, work has resumed.  I'll post a couple of pictures in a new album
"Polar Star" showing how high the water came in the main cabin.

The total claim was over $26,000 but Boat US Insurance came through. The
only thing on the estimate that they disallowed was replacement of the
offending hose. That was considered "wear and tear".

Speaking of the hose, it had cracked right at the thru hull fitting. It was
so brittle that when I tried to move it slightly to get a better angle for a
picture, it broke right off at the anchor locker fitting. I had a discussion
with Jerry Douglas regarding what I found. His theory is that at over time
(almost 21 years) the use of strong, possibly caustic deck cleaners on the
foredeck might have caused the degrading of the hose. The hose was long
enough so there was a little bit of a bend below the thru hull in which
water would have remained in between washings. I can't argue with that as
there are no other explanations I can find.  Incidentally he did say that
some time later, he didn't remember when the drain set up was modified.

I decided against rerouting the drain but have definitely added inspecting
it to my spring pre launch check list.

Stay Safe everyone!

Harry Juris

S/V Polar Star