[C320-list] Throttle Cable stiff

Dennis Cookson dennis at cooksons.net
Sun May 31 07:33:55 PDT 2020

Hi Scott, I replaced both throttle and shift cables earlier this year on my 1999 C320 before the lock down, and yes, you do need to remove both the compass housing and the compass itself to expose the control levers and cable attachments.  But are you sure that lubing is necessary, or even a good idea?

The Yanmar throttle mechanism is fitted with quite a strong return spring, and so without any friction in the cable or the lever, the throttle tends to be pulled back towards idle. To counter this, there is a bolt that you can adjust underneath the compass that will apply the necessary friction on the lever so that it stays in place. Perhaps this bolt is set too tight on your boat?   There could also be stiffness at the engine end.  I would suggest that you disconnect the throttle at the engine and see what difference that makes, if any.

It’s quite likely that the cable is worn if original, and I recommend renewing both as others have done. It takes a while but has made a huge change to our gear shift control particularly. Prior to the renewal, it was very hard to tell where neutral was.

As Dave mentioned the whole pedestal comes apart when you remove the four bolts that hold the compass in place so watch out for that, and perhaps reinsert the bolts without the compass to hold it together.

One other tip: there is a black plastic weather shield underneath the compass which becomes brittle with age. I replaced mine with a new one from Ritchie, the compass maker, at the same time as renewing the cables.  The part number is WSP-1.

Dennis Cookson
#577 1999