[C320-list] Fuel sender access

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 04:10:55 PST 2020

Dennis

Yes it does require quite a degree of flexibility!  (on a side note I later decided to install a below deck autopilot and although i did all the wiring up etc myself, the ram installation was a job too far due to the cramped space and I contracted that out!)

But the tank wasn't too bad once you get the shelf out that is above it.  There are five  connections into it -  fuel out to engine return fuel in, filler hose and vent hose, and the sender wires. All were easy to remove once the shelf was out without having to do anything other than lean in to the starboard locker.  However removing the tank was more fiddly and in the end I did most of that by lying in the aft cabin and putting my head and upper body through the hatch.  You need to remove the entire hatch and frame anyway in order to get sufficient space to extract the tank through it, but its a good idea to do it from the get go so the hinges don't get damaged with it being leant on!

Like all jobs, it would be a lot quicker next time round. I think i could get the tank out in about 1 to 1.5 hours now.  For someone who had never done it and hadn't read up how to do it you could waste hours trying to work out how to get it out!  By the way I forgot to mention the obvious first step which is to drain the tank first!

The inside of my tank had a tarry gloopy sludge on the bottom which I am pretty sure wasn't diesel bug just years of accumulated muck. It was probably forming quite an effective lining to the tank but once I had cut an inspection port and got my arm in there and cleaned it all out, the pitting was very obvious.  Of course as you know, in the UK nobody stocks Catalina spares so a new tank from the US would have been very pricey. I could have had a new one fabricated using the old as a pattern, but as per my previous post, 90% of the serious pitting looked to be on the bottom not the sides so I just has a new bottom welded in by a local fabricator (not marine) for about £50.  I bought some aluminium plate off ebay to make new inspection port covers, some fuel resistant neoprene type gasket and bolted each cover on with about 12 small bolts.  I also had the fabricators put an internal ring around the inside of the rim of the  inspection port to give more rigidity to the section where the plate bolts on to the top.

I could send you photos directly if you were interested?

Graeme
(Boat in Plymouth, but I live in Midlands)