[C320-list] Refrigerator Removal/Installation

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 10 17:57:49 PST 2020

Interesting question.

I did a little reading. EPA rules in the U.S. call for a technician to remove and capture Freon from the unit, which I did not know when I replaced mine. However, it made no difference. The fridge had been dead for years under the previous owner and had no refrigerant in the lines. It had already leaked out.

You’re also supposed to turn in the unit at a special recycling facility, which I also did not know. It went in the dumpster. I partly blame the manufacturer, who didn’t point out any of this when I bought the replacement unit, but I should have checked.

At this point, it becomes one of those difficult philosophical/moral questions that only you can answer for yourself.

We all know that dumping Freon in the air is bad. However, you’re faced with paying $150 or $200 for a technician to show up and likely say, “Well, that was easy. There’s no Freon in there.” Even if there is a little, I’m certain it’s not enough to melt an iceberg.

Small amounts of refrigerant leak regularly in cars and appliances. Until these quick-connect fittings were invented, it was common for DIY sailors to lose all of their refrigerant when trying to install new units. The EPA rules acknowledge that small appliances are not its major concern.

It’s kind of like when your holding tank is full on a cruise and you’re in a tidal area, but not anywhere near three miles offshore. The law says you need to pump out at a station, but the law did not provide one for you to use. Do you obey the letter of the law and risk bursting your tank or just pump?

If I were you, I would do what I thought was sensible.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10