[C320-list] Cutless Bearing Project

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Thu Nov 12 13:21:39 PST 2020

I think that if you altered the alignment negatively, you would experience increased vibration / noise at certain rpm’s.  If there is no change in the amount of vibration or noise, I wouldn’t spend the time and money to do an alignment.  Also, I can vouch for inspecting the bellows on a PYI shaft seal before doing a time based replacement at 6 years.  My bellows is now 15 years old and going strong.  I inspect it on haulouts and clean it up, checking for cracks and tightness of the clamps.  My bellows doesn’t look much different than the day it went in, so I think their recommendation is very conservative and likely based on some legal recommendations from the company lawyer rather than a factual deterioration.  Just my opinion….

Joe Luciano
Second Wind