[C320-list] Dinghy Propulsion

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 16 09:51:50 PST 2020

I guess I’m in the minority.

I have a 2.5 HP Honda four-stroke on an Achilles 88 with wooden floor. Both were bought new. It can carry two full-sized adults at 4 to 5 knots in a relatively calm harbor. No planing, but then I’m not really in a hurry when I’m cruising.

The big advantage to me is that the motor weighs about 30 pounds. I can carry it down to the dinghy with one hand. I used to own a C&C 25 on a mooring with an 8HP hanging off the stern, and I never again want to go through the acrobatics it took to remove that 90-pound outboard for servicing.

We do some exploring by dinghy on cruises, and I haven’t found the 2.5 to be a problem. Our cruising club likes to putter through places and look around, not speed and throw up wakes.

You do have a longer range with a big outboard, but remember what happens if the outboard breaks down when you’re miles and miles away. You gotta row …

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay