[C320-list] Dinghy Propulsion

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Mon Nov 16 09:26:45 PST 2020

I mostly sail the Chesapeake, so I will stay away from motor "type" and brand recommendations, especially in light of your question about the Bahamas. However, I'd like to add my two cents regarding lifting/stowing, etc.

Generally, we do not ever tow our dinghy with the outboard on. Too many possibilities for a bad outcome. We were fortunate that the previous owners of our boat had installed a Garhauer outboard motor hoist. Not sure if it's exactly the model we have, but it's close... Here's a link:
https://www.garhauermarine.com/lifting-davit-engine-hoist-ld-6-1-short.html

We also have the following on our stern rail - Starboard side:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--rail-mount-outboard-bracket--8232381?recordNum=2

We also have a lifting strap installed on the outboard which enables us to lift the outboard in a vertical orientation. Very handy. Easily removable when you need to service the outboard.

With one person on the dinghy to guide the outboard, it's very easy to lower the outboard into place with the 6-1 purchase on the block system. Usually, my wife lowers the outboard and I guide it to the transom and attach it to the dinghy. It is a 2 person operation to do the transfer. One to operate the crane, the other to guide the motor so it doesn't swing around and hit anything.

The only manual lifting is when transferring the weight of the motor from the rail mount to hang by the block system (and vice versa when stowing the outboard. We worked it out. Not bad at all.

I have a Tohatsu 6HP (4 stroke) and it fits on the stern rail nicely. I don't know how heavy of a motor you could hang on the C320 rail,  but ours has been riding there for 6 seasons and we've had no problems with the rail holding the weight. Just as strong as the day we bought her.

As for ease of starting, adding a battery and electric start would make your dinghy deployment more complex due to lugging and securing a heavy battery as well. I'd like to hear from others on that. My outboard, being relatively new and well maintained, usually starts on the first or second pull, though it doesn't live as hard of a life as someone who cruising full time.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us